We Speak Veteran™

Veterans Advantage Financial™

We Speak Veteran™

Certified Medicare Insurance Planner™* | Retirement Income Certified Professional®*

Medicare | Retirement | Life Insurance | Veterans Only

Table of Contents

Colleges That Offer In-State Tuition For Military Dependents

As a service member, you and your family are eligible for certain educational advantages. When your children reach college age, the constant upheaval of moving from one state to another could be a problem.

You may be eligible for in-state tuition rates at a public university regardless of whether or not you have ever lived in the state where the university is located if you are a veteran enrolled in a GI Bill or Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E) program.

Is there anything special for military kids who have to deal with this? Is there a school where they can get in-state rates? What if you uproot them amid their university years and move them to a new state?

Do Military Dependents Get Free College?

Dependents of current service members and veterans, as well as surviving family members of veterans who have passed away, are eligible for various educational benefits. Such perks, including financial aid and tuition waivers, are frequently disregarded.

Transferability of Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits

Veterans can give their dependents a portion of their remaining GI Bill (education) benefits under a particular provision of the program. Simply put, if they used up 12 months of their GI Bill benefits, they can only transfer the remaining 24 months. Importantly, you can transfer only unused GI Bill benefits, so whether or not the member has used any of theirs in the past is the deciding factor.

Individualized Expense Accounts for Military Spouses (MyCAA)

Up to $4,000 in financial aid is available through the Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA) program for spouses of active duty service members who are enrolled in an accredited college or university and working toward a degree, license, or credential that can be taken with them should they change jobs.

Support for Dependents’ Education

Family members of qualified veterans can pursue further education and training thanks to the Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA) program. This program allows you to receive support for up to 36 months. These monies can be used for internships, apprenticeships, and other types of on-the-job training. Some situations warrant the green light for remedial, deficiency, and refresher training.

A Scholarship in Memory of Marine Corps Sgt. Fry, John D.

As with the Post-9/11 GI Bill, the Fry Scholarship provides financial aid for higher education to the spouses and dependents of service members killed in action after September 10, 2001. The program gives a monthly stipend and book allowance to qualifying surviving wives and children of Post-9/11 veterans who are actively enrolled in higher education, in addition to complete tuition coverage at state-operated schools and universities.

After 15 years (or until remarriage), a surviving spouse can apply for a Fry Scholarship. The Fry Scholarship is available to children between 18 and 33. This benefit is not available to minors under 18, even if they have a high school diploma. Fry Scholarship consideration is given to the student, not the child’s marital status.

Can Military Spouses Get In-State Tuition?

It is common practice among colleges and universities to charge in-state students less than out-of-state students for tuition. Attending a public institution in your home state can be much less expensive than paying out-of-state tuition, which can run into thousands of dollars each year.

While frequent moves every two to three years can make it tough to establish residency in one state long enough to qualify for in-state tuition, there are programs in place to assist military spouses in doing so or in meeting the requirements for an exemption from the in-state residency requirement.

It is also important to find out about any financial aid programs specifically designed to assist military families. Before committing to your chosen educational program, verify that you are able to meet any residency requirements imposed by it.

If you move with your service member on military orders, you can establish residency in the state where you’re stationed, thanks to the Military Spouse Residency Relief Act. The IRS will consider this location to be your permanent address. After some time, you may qualify for in-state tuition at your new university because of your new state of residence. Suppose you and your service member are moving states following military orders, and you have declared residency in the state where you reside. In that situation, you must file an amended residency declaration with the new state.

The Guide to State Residency, published by the College Board, details the procedures for establishing residency in each state, including any applicable waivers for active-duty military members.

What is The State of Residency for Military Children?

If a parent enrolls their child in college while stationed in one state. Suppose that parent is subsequently relocated due to military orders. In that case, the child will continue to be eligible for in-state tuition at their original college.

A student from a military family can usually qualify for in-state tuition in a new state without meeting a time-in-residence requirement if his or her family relocated during college. The Higher Education Act of 2008 contains an identical provision.

Even though these are the “rules,” there are invariably exceptions. Check the specific policies of the schools you’re interested in attending. Some schools kindly offer in-state tuition to military children, while others offer special discounts to those who serve. Some schools will still honor your in-state tuition rate if you stop using the GI Bill. The Yellow Ribbon Program can make private universities as affordable as public ones for eligible students for the GI Bill.

Will the VA Pay for My Spouse To Go To School?

Many military spouses are concerned about their eligibility for separation compensation. A frequent concern is whether or not military spouses can use veteran education benefits to return to school.

The wife elaborates, “I owe my previous university money, and my husband’s contract should end in a month or so.” Although the GI Bill is an option, I hope my husband will eventually decide to use it if he wants to continue his education. Can we still get assistance now, or is it too late? And if not, where/who can I turn to for help?

Too bad there isn’t more choice. There are education programs for military spouses, but they have certain limitations.

My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) is the most frequently mentioned program for spouses of service members. The Department of Defense runs the program. It aids military spouses in obtaining credentials such as licenses, certificates, and even some Associate’s Degrees as part of the Spouse Education and Career Opportunities (SECO) initiative. The program’s goal is to facilitate spouse employment in fields where such skills are in high demand.

Spouses of active-duty service members in the E-1 through E-5, W-1 through W-1, or O-2 through O-3 pay grades are eligible to use this benefit. Spouses of active-duty service personnel can utilize MyCAA, but only during their partner’s activation period. While their partner is deployed, they must begin and complete their duties. Because this is not a program that provides financial assistance to the spouses of veterans, you likely won’t be eligible for these benefits even though your husband will soon be leaving the military.

Make Appointment with Chris Duncan

Scroll to Top